The basic principles of volcanism and the different manifestations on the planet Earth set out directly from a professional geologist in one of the most active craters of the Vesuvius area.
At first, we will climb on one of the four crater’s sides until we reach the top to admire the characteristic shape and then descend to the centre of the volcanic crater.
Through the path that leads to the vents, you will learn how to recognize all the different volcanic rocks (including the rare obsidian), analyzing the main features such as: weight, colour, density, hardness. Using a magnifying glass, our geologist will take you into the fantastic world of minerals, to observe the crystals and admire the numberless geometric figures created by nature.
Life out of destruction. Destruction is the first effect of a volcanic eruption evident to the narrow human’s view. This trip will teach us how to recognize also the constructive effects through which the Earth reborns into a new life.
On this fertile volcanic soil are growing a number of plants that you will learn how to recognise; such as: Scotch brooms, mastics, myrtles, cistus, smilax, and the rare Cyperus papyrus Rottb known as the Papyrus of fumaroles, growing only in this area thanks to the radon gas released by the nearby steamy emissions given by the volcanic activity.
- Adults and children from 6 years old
- Trekking lovers
- Geology and volcanology lovers
- Biologists and botanists looking for rare species
Why choose it:
- You want to see the volcanic activity
- You wish to learn how to recognise volcanic rocks and minerals
- You are excited at the idea of going into the centre of a crater
- You are looking forward to observing the very rare Cyperus Papyrus Rottb (Fumarole’s papyrus)
- You wish to recognize the vegetation of a typical volcanic soil
Price per person
- Hiking guide
- Material for the activities
- Foraday Assistance
- Comfortable shoes and clothing
- Binoculars and Magnifying glass (if available)
I’m a geologist passionate about drawing; I love expressing the results of my researches with graphics, introducing the complexity of the geological subject in an accessible way to everybody.